This small locking device is typically found on the bottom of a door. The design allows it to stay mostly hidden from view by fitting flush with the edge of the door. The shoot bolt keeps the door in a locked position using a pin that anchors into a keep on the floor.
Every so often, after years of use, you may find that you need to replace your shoot bolt lock. You can typically tell when a shoot bolt needs replaced when the bolt doesn’t secure the door as efficiently as it used to.
In this case, replacing your shoot bolt is the way to go.
How To Replace a Shoot Bolt on a Door
First, remove the door from the frame. You may need two people for this task. This can be done by carefully unscrewing the hinges from the face of the door beginning from the bottom, and working up.
2. Once the pins are out, carefully remove the door from the hinges and place it horizontally on a padded surface, such as two saw horses.
3. Use a screwdriver to remove the screws from the old shoot bolt. If they’re undamaged, you can keep these to screw the new shoot bolt in.
4. Remove the shoot bolt from the door. If necessary, fill in the current screw holes with filler so that the new screws will have enough traction to hold the shoot bolt securely in place.
5. Place the new shoot bolt in place of the old one.
6. Screw the new shoot bolt in place and make sure that it is flush with the door.
7. With the help of another person, carefully screw the door back on the hinges. Be careful not to let the weight of the door bend the hinges before you have it fully in place (This is where the other person comes in handy!)
Now that we’re familiar with how to replace shoot bolts, head on over and order a shoot bolt of your own to try it out! If you’d like to learn more about shoot bolts and the doors they live on, take a look at some of our other informative articles: